Wednesday, February 29, 2012

To Visit or Not To Visit The Little Hongkong of The South?

My close friend Pabz talked about his plan to travel with his cousin to Pagadian City the other day when he visited here in my apartment. I recalled he mentioned about a church event that they had to attend. He asked me if I like the idea of travelling with them, it is only a one-day travel anyway. He said my blogging job would not be much left out for it will only be a day away from my computer. Silly! It would be so lame of me to use that excuse not to go. He added a more assuring piece that we'll have great time there for his cousin has a car that we can use for a short city tour conveniently and safely. Exploring a new environment, just great!

The idea sounded so great but I just couldn't go and attend their church event for we believe in two different religions. It was sad that I couldn't accompany him for I knew very well he only wanted to have a fun company that he can talk to during the long hours of bus ride. Argh! Aside from the religious clash, the long hours of bus ride made me so uninterested to go. An hour bus ride from my home to my apartment is already a dilemma, now how long does it take to travel from Dipolog City to Pagadian City? If there's no other faster routes from Dipolog to Pagadian, it is roughly 10  hours bus ride or more. Just thinking about it already made me feel dizzy. Sadly, I declined. 
Photo not mine. 

The City of Pagadian is the capital city of the province of Zamboanga del Sur that is situated on the northeastern side of Western Mindanao region. I've heard about this city a lot from my relatives who are from there but I've never had a chance to have a visit. I believe though (if I am not mistaken) that I've already passed Pagadian on my chaotic and tiring travel to, for the very first time, the City of Iligan. I swore not to travel that route again unless for a very important matter. Well, let's set Iligan City aside and get back to Pagadian. I did a little research about this booming city that's now taking pride of its every progress as years passed. Do you know that it earned a nickname, the "Little Hongkong of The South"? I just knew about it. It is believed that the city acquired this nickname from its hilly or rolling terrain surrounding the commercial and residential districts, which reminds us of the famous Crown Colony.

Photo not mine. 

With that trick played by mother nature on the ground of Pagadian City, locals are left thinking to come up a solution to their problem with public transportation. Then came a uniquely designed tricycle that's inclined at about 25 to 40 degrees angle to adopt the rolling terrain of the city. It is now the iconic symbol of Pagadian. I got no information on who specifically was the person who had thought of this idea first. I wonder how it's like riding on that tricycle. It looks scary not to mention the hilly way...but I must say I wanna try it someday.    

No comments: